Our Everest Team awoke early on the morning of the 18th and after some breakfast and coffee in the warmth of the heated base camp dome, they started off through the Khumbu Ice Fall for Camp 2 and ultimately their push for the summit. It’s a 4 day push to get to the top from Base Camp, so timing the weather window is crucial. We’ve been pouring over the forecast with our meteorologist for days trying to pick the right day to get on top. They’ve still got some flexibility built in, and can hold off a day or two along the way as we receive updated, and more accurate forecasts as we get closer. This morning as they were part of the way through the Khumbu Ice Fall, one of the climbers, Chris Jentz, wasn’t feeling well and turned around with guide Jacob to spend another night at base camp and see if he can recover. The rest of the team continued up with our other guide Ossy, and the Sherpa team and will take a rest day at Camp 2 tomorrow. Chris was feeling better late in the day, and hopes to rally on up there tomorrow. They are excited to be making the move towards the top, and happy to make their last trip through the tricky Khumbu Ice Fall. All of their hard work and all the time they’ve invested comes down to the next week, so we are all hoping their health and the weather all cooperate! We’ll update as often as possible in the next week or so, and we’ll be talking to our guides regularly and checking on their progress. It’s an exciting time over there!
Here’s a video Jacob sent from this morning in the Khumbu Ice Fall, it’s an unlikely place to travel through, but makes for some stunning pictures and video!