Vinson Team on Hold

The team is on hold right now, waiting for weather to improve a bit in Antarctica before hopping on the plane.  ALE has a pretty sophisticated weather forecast for the Union Glacier base area, with remote weather stations, and a full time meteorologist to help make the weather calls.  It is usually winds that will prevent the plane from landing, and they like to be pretty confident that they can land safely on the ice runway on the glacier before gathering the crew in Chile and heading down.

They are expecting today’s go/no-go call at about 7pm.   Until then they’ll just be packed and ready, anxiously awaiting some news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.